Monday, March 3, 2008

Tea's Morning Tangents - March 3, 2008

1. It's 75 degrees in Miami. I couldn't be happier.

2. When I got to my hotel before check-in yesterday, they didn't have the two beds I wanted in one room, so I got a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite. It's probably quadruple the size of my studio in Chicago. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad to leave.

3. I'm really excited and curious to see what happens on Tuesday in Texas and Ohio. I'm sad that I won't be able to do my usual phonebanking. I feel like I'm letting the campaign down. However, when politicians go on vacay, I'm sure they're not giving me a second thought, so I'm going to just watch and see what happens. If you have time, please make some calls (for whatever campaign you support). We can sway the vote in whatever way we want if we get involved! :)

4. Meant to write a facebook note about this a couple of weeks ago, but forgot: I often find myself in situations where I'm the only black, or one of a few blacks in the room. At bars and clubs and recreational events, not unlike work or undergraduate life at the U of I. I noticed a couple of things that are pretty consistent when I'm the only black person at a bar, that I'd like to shed some light on to help people navigate these (hilarious) race relations.

a) I don't want to talk to the only black guy in the room because he's black, so unless he's the hottest guy you've ever seen, don't suggest I hook up with him.
b) I don't want to talk about Run DMC, NWA, Nate Dawg or any other 90s rap star you can come up with. Truth be told, I'm not a big rap fan. Talk to me about John Legend, Jill Scott or Alicia Keys and you've made an instant friend.
c) Whenever a song with a beat comes on do not look at me to see if you are dancing correctly. How would you dance if I wasn't standing right there? Yes, I'm going to laugh at you if you have no rhythm. It's O.K.
d) Whenever a rap song comes on do not make eye contact with me to show off that you know the words. I don't know the words... unless it's a radio song and then I only know the words because the radio plays the same ten songs every hour.
e) last, but certainly not least YES, I have heard the song Aisha by Another Bad Creation A.K.A. ABC. YES, I know MY name rhymes with Aisha. NO, you do not have to sing the song to remind me. (To be fair, white people aren't the only ones who do this. All races of people still sing this song to me when they first meet me.)

5. I'm working on learning to live in the moment. So not focusing on the past and not worrying about the future. Of course, I can't help but plan, but sometimes I get so caught up being excited about what's coming up, that I forget to be grateful for what's going on now. Case in point, I got to Miami super early yesterday (to get my blue black) on and I was enjoying this big two bedroom suite by myself and I was thinking I can't wait until I have the opportunity to stay in a place like this for leisure instead of business. That was the absoulte wrong attitude to have and I changed it immediately. Instead, I thought how EXTREMELY happy I am to be here no matter the trip purpose AND the fabulosity of the room isn't going to change based on who's dollars are paying for it. So I'm happy, grateful and ecstatic right now. No need putting those good feelings off!!!

Have a Happy Day!

T

4 comments:

Kismet said...

Dude! you have a blog now! Put me on your blogroll! And I'm adding you to my Google Reader :)

COOLNESS

ThummyB said...

Yay for blogging.

I was sooo feeling you on point #5. I am trying so so so hard to focus on today's blessings. Sometimes it works, and other's it doesn't. You know I like to plan :-)

Re. being the only black person in a room w/others...well what can you say. Its always an interesting experience.

Paris said...

I died at "blue black on," lol! I love your blog!

kidkastro said...

#4 hits home. You know that growing up in Wheaton, I dealt with that for about, ummm...15 years!!! I look back and all they were trying to do was fit in with me. Black has been "IN" for non-blacks since the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air hit TV and they wanted a piece!!