Thursday, January 15, 2009

Quote of the Day:

First, Happy Birthday to the late great Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Now, Quote of the Day:

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them."
-- Maya Angelou

OMG, I love this quote. It's so powerful because it's so simple to understand, yet so hard to do. I've often ignored it.

If there is someone that says that he or she is my friend, but acts differently, why do I insist on calling this person my friend?

If someone has shown that they have a problem with drugs, alcohol or other addictive behaviors, why in the world would I expect anything BUT addictive behaviors from them?

If there is someone who shows that they're incapable of giving or receiving love...Oh boy, this list could go on forever.

I just encourage everyone reading to keep this quote near and dear to your heart. As we've entered into a new year and grow another year wiser, we can no longer expect the best from people who only have the worst to give.

We have to accept that what we've seen is what we're going to get.

The only person we can change is ourselves and the only thing we can change by ourselves is our minds.

2 comments:

ThummyB said...

This is so serious.

Giving ppl the 'benefit of the doubt' is truly the bug that comes back to bite you in the arse every time!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Powerful quote!! I try to remind myself of it all the time. My biggest problem is when it comes to people who I think are my friends...but always show me otherwise.

Love, love, love this quote!!

Oh and congrats on the DVDs...please email your mailing address info again! :-)